Following her blog ‘What is Ethical Banking’, Athena Addison, Digital Relations Consultant at 6XDMedia has sent us a ‘A Guide to Global Internet Energy Usage’
Is working from home less costly than commuting? Is it ethical to promote flexible working over more traditional styles?
For example, the key facts and highlights from the research show that:
- Watching 30 minutes of your favourite Netflix show is equivalent to driving 4 miles!
- One email releases 4 grams of CO2 into the atmosphere (up to 50 grams if it includes a large attachment)
- Each tweet on Twitter emits 0.02 grams of CO2 into the atmosphere)
- An online Google search emits 0.2 grams of CO2
The guide covers:
- The rapid growth of internet users worldwide and the countries with the highest number of people online as of 2020 (China and India dominate the top two spots)
- An immense amount of energy needed to power social media sites, online streaming, cryptocurrency, and cloud computing services.
- A detailed look at the carbon footprint that our online habits and consumption produce.
You can find the full guide here https://www.energyhelpline.com/help/a-guide-to-global-internet-energy-usage